View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 07:55 PM

Default Is this considered Fraud
I have a question and hoping someone here that is familiar with different aspects of fraud would be able to answer.

Would it be considered fraudulent if a law firm states in a retainer agreement that they will be charging their client a lower fee but will be seeking a higher fee against opposing party. This is what it states in retainer agreement:

"It is understood that Attorney has adjusted the above rates to be significantly lower than normally charged in order to enable Client to obtain needed legal services; however, Attorney intends on seeking full rates during the proceedings against opposing parties."

I've talked with one attorney when seeking second opinion regarding why I hired this prior legal representation and he informed me that they can't seek a higher rate than what was originally agreed upon and if they do that this would be considered fraud. Is this true? That it would be considered fraud if they attempted to go after opposing party for a higher amount than what is stated in retainer agreement?