Old 12-11-2009, 04:04 PM

Default What is a chargeback?
I wasn't sure about chargebacks, so I searched and got this info. I thought I would share it:

Chargebacks may be caused by a misunderstanding, but they are also frequently the result of bait and switch tactics or other unethical practices used by sellers who sell products sight unseen. Sellers who utilize auction sites seem to have their share of chargebacks. This is generally because the item is not of the same quality as described, is broken or destroyed in transit, or is never received. Chargebacks also occur, in some cases, because buyers simply change their minds.

Anyone have to deal with chargebacks? What was your reason?
Old 12-12-2009, 02:57 PM

So you mean I can ask a chargeback just because I don't like the merchandise? If I was the seller, I won't return the money. But then again, there are some companies that offer satisfaction guarantee.

I never experienced asking for a chargeback because I'm satisfied with most of the products I bought with my credit card.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:21 PM
i Wanna Learn Too

the chargeback reason is 90% fraud , whether by the card owners or a credit card stealer . sometimes a person buys dome stuffs and claims that he weren't but it and claiming that the card is stolen and the charge on the card was unauthorized .

and sometimes the card stealer use a stolen credit card info to place order and then the actual card owners reports his/her card as stolen to its credit card company . and a refund will be issued . in both side it will mostly affect the shop/store owner who allowed fraudulent payment
Old 12-13-2009, 01:30 AM

There are many places both online and offline that will want to investigate certain types of charge backs, esp. if it is coming from the same type of places over and over again. I remember reading a story about a hacker that had stolen credit cards and they ended up catching him only from his appetite as he continued to try and make online purchases (that were denied of course from the legal persons bank) but they caught him ordering again offline with a local pizza shop (who I assume did not check to ID of the person using the card).

Some charge backs are legit, others are not, the issue with those which are not is it the fault of a bad thief or a bad owner of the card just wanted things for free?
Old 12-16-2009, 04:08 AM

I asked for a chargeback once on Ebay because I bought a computer and by the time it got to me, it was no longer working. I returned it and was refunded.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:20 PM

Tommy is right - Best thing to do is keep records and receipts of all transactions so that you can dispute the claim. No one is 100% chargeback safe.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:04 PM

thanks for all the answers
Old 08-03-2011, 08:36 AM

1, because of the quality to be charged, if the exact amount of return:
By: Accounts Payable
Goods: raw materials (without tax, while reducing the number)
Stock: Tax payable - VAT (input tax out)
At this time the other party may be asked to return for an agreement, after the other will be issued for red invoice.
If the invoice issued red, then:
By: raw (red)
By: tax payable - value added tax (VAT) (red)
Stock: Accounts payable (red)
2, if the deduction specified how much money has nothing to do with the number, the direct material costs and can be washed:
By: Accounts Payable
Goods: raw materials (where only reduce the amount does not reduce the quantity)
You mean the charge should be second, right? Notified if the debit payment:
Such as 1170 yuan loan (tax included), charge $ 100. Then:
By: Accounts Payable 1170
Stock: 1070 bank deposits
Goods: raw materials, 85.47 (100/1.17)
Stock: Tax payable - VAT (input tax roll-out) 14.53 (100/1.17 * 0.17)
Old 08-11-2011, 11:41 PM

if you are online retailer the best way to win chargeback cases is require a signature for delivery, make sure the delivery address is the same as the card address and make sure the cvv number matches.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:47 PM

Hi Kala,

Thanks for such an important piece of information. I would have never known what is charge bac. I will keep the above details in mind.

Thanks once again